Do not get me wrong I am totally happy and blessed in so may ways. But I feel the need to invest a little in taking stock with my life and becoming a little more focused and in control with my feelings and thoughts. I have heard so much about Gretchen Rubin's book 'The Happiness Project' and I purchased this one last year from Kikki K along with The Happiness Journal to read and document my happiness project which fell to the wayside. So I have decided to apply myself and document here on my blog as well as the journal. I have just started reading the book again. The first month is to boost energy by -
going to sleep earlier - this I already do. Most of the time I aim to be in bed by 10:30 at the latest and I have to say I sleep quite well although I do wake at least once per night which at times can take me a little bit to get back to slumber. I am an early riser, even on weekends, occasionally and very rare I may sleep until 8am on the weekend.
Do you go to bed at the same time each night and try to get the recommended 7-8 hours sleep?
exercising better - I am trying to accommodate more exercise into my daily routine (although I can be lazy). so this is something I will be working on over the next few weeks. I will try riding my bike a few times a week and walking to the bus stop with my eldest in the mornings. I love that in this Gretchen describes the time when her father said she could redecorate her room, if she started getting out the door to exercise, for even a few minutes. The trick was to get her out the door and to start something.
'My father, himself a dedicated runner, never told me how far I had to run or how fast; he didn't even keep track of whether I went for twenty minutes. All he asked was that I put on my running shoes nad shut the door behind me. My father's deal got me to commit to a routine and once I started running, I found that I did not mind exercising, I just did not like sports.'
To do - purchase a pedometer so I can keep track of my steps and try to incorporate at least 10.000 a day. Any recommendations please let me know.
Next up is to - Hmm!!! lets see how I will go with these.
toss, restore and organise
tackling a nagging task
acting more energetic

I just realised that I've read her book & it was great. My only 'issue' with her book was that she lives in New York with access to everything you could think, want or need ... whereas I live on the Gold Coast where access to so many options is rather limited, so I could not see how many of her suggestions could be translated to my life....
ReplyDeleteI did think about doing her project at the time but realised it would too much pressure on me, so I decided against it.
Thank you so much for your feedback Mish. I am reading and looking at this lightly and trying to re focus my thinking and changing to thinking in a more positive way life throws those curve balls. x
ReplyDelete